Job Code: SC
Category: Outdoor Camping & Education
Location: YMCA Storer Camps
Job Type: Full-Time
Rate: $386 per week.
An educator works as part of a “Front Line” team responsible for delivering top quality residential OEE and SPGR camping programs.
- Prepared to teach all curriculum area through training, peer observation, research, and class outlines.
- Maintains a safe, high quality standard program for all guests of Storer Camps.
- Assists in the continued development and delivery of the curriculum.
- Functions as a part of the entire Association. Participates in all program areas of Storer Camps and Association as requested.
- Develops and maintains new program opportunities and responsive evaluations to improve Storer’s programs.
- Responsible for general facility and equipment upkeep on a daily basis as well as center wide clean up at the end of the week.
- Class equipment is well cared for, kept clean and orderly.
- Equipment and facility needs are observed and communicated to supervisors in a timely manner.
- Participates in weekly staff meetings.
- Teaches curriculum areas of Natural Science, Renewable Energy, Adventure Education (includes the climbing tower, low and high rope courses) and Cultural History.
- Responsible and willing to rotate duties as a staff member in OEE and SPGR programs.
- Assists with Health Services based on training/experience.
- Assists with hosting school/SPGR groups, leading meals, large group programs.
- Responsible for following YMCA Storer Camps COVID-19 Policies and Procedures which include, but now limited to: cleaning/disinfecting facilities & equipment on regular basis.
- Develops positive, friendly, professional rapport with guests and fellow staff members.
- Flexible to adapt to programs and the needs and desires of our guests.
- Facilitates recreational activities and evening programs as scheduled for OEE and SPGR weekend groups.
- Facilitates weekly evaluations from teachers, cabin leaders and group leaders on class knowledge, presentation, and professionalism.
- Serves as part of other department activities when needed and assigned by the director of the program area.
- Abides within the Personnel Policies of YMCA Storer Camps.
- Maintains a clean living environment inside and outside of assigned living unit.
College graduate or coursework and experience in a relevant field (Education, Recreation, Science, Environmental Education, Psychology, etc.) is required. 1st Aid/CPR trained. Experience with youth, work in the outdoors, positive attitude, high energy, enthusiasm, team oriented, and service minded individuals, as well as a desire to grow personally and professionally are wanted on the YMCA Storer Camp team.
The Storer Outdoor School and Specialty Programming and Group Retreats programs run during the calendar school year from August 26, 2020 – December 11, 2020 and February 8 - June 11, 2021 (staff training begins August 26, 2020). *Dates dependent on school attendance at camp.
The position provides on-site housing, meals when groups are in camp, and a fitness membership to the local YMCA.
Send cover letter and resume by August 1st to: Nancy Burger, Director of Outdoor Education, firstname.lastname@example.org. 517-536-8607.