Improving the nation's health and well-being.
Being healthy means more than simply being physically active. It’s about maintaining a balanced spirit, mind and body. The Y is a place where you can work toward that balance by challenging yourself to learn a new skill or hobby, fostering connections with friends through our lifelong learning programs, or bringing your loved ones closer together through our many family-centered activities. At the Y, it’s not about the activity you choose as much as it is about the benefits of living healthier on the inside as well as the outside.
Healthy Living Initiatives
Partners in Healthy Living is a work-site wellness program that connects employers and their employees with the resources they need to create a more healthy and balanced lifestyle for themselves and their families. Participating employers can ultimately benefit from the program with a healthier workforce, a reduced absenteeism rate, and lower health care costs.
Membership Benefits for Partners in Healthy Living employees:
No joiner fee, a $50 value
Membership rates based on household income for those who qualify
Two-week trial pass
Access to nine area YMCA and JCC locations
Free access to any Y in Ohio with the MY Y is Every Y in Ohio program
Free fitness classes
Free babysitting while you work out
Four family adventure centers
Programs at YMCA Storer Camps
Reduced prices on YMCA Child Care
Healthy Living initiatives
For more information, contact Wilma DiManna – email@example.com.
Diabetes Prevention Program
The YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program is helping reduce the burden of chronic disease in communities across the nation. The program helps those at high risk for developing Type 2 Diabetes adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles by eating healthier, increasing physical activity and losing a modest amount of weight in order to reduce their chances of developing the disease. Contact Susan Ruff, YMCA's Diabetes Program Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org for more details. Take the Diabetes Risk Assessment.
The Y offers a free, 8-week program designed to provide diabetes education for individuals previously diagnosed or at high risk for developing the disease. Through local collaborations in the community, the Y offers weekly classes led by health professionals including a Certified Diabetes Educator, Licensed Dietitian and a YMCA Wellness Center Manager. Along with classes, each participant is eligible for a free 12-week individual YMCA membership. Contact Susan Ruff, YMCA’s Diabetes Program Coordinator, email@example.com for more details.
Live Well Greater Toledo
Live Well Greater Toledo is a diverse collaboration of community leaders and organizations working together to promote policy, systems and environmental change for a healthier community. Our focus offers opportunities to individuals in underserved areas of our community to increase physical activity and improve eating habits, which leads to improved health and well-being. The work of Live Well is in concert with a state-wide network of communities, organizations, and individuals advocating for improved nutrition and physical activity. To learn more about how to be a part of this opportunity, visit livewelltoledo.org or contact Live Well at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Safe Routes to School
Safe Routes to School (SRTS) is a national and international movement to create safe, convenient, and fun opportunities for children to engage in active transportation, such as walking and bicycling to and from schools. For more information, contact Jenny Hansen, SRTS Plan Coordinator at email@example.com.
Learn, laugh, and spend time together during fun activities that promote health and well-being for everyone.
- Parent and Child Programs - Play time and interaction with parents is critical to the development of our youth. Parent and child programs involve families and their preschool age children. These programs include family camps, parent/child swim lessons, and parent/child movement classes. We even offer some special classes specifically for new parents and their infants.
- Special Family Events - Y family events are wonderful opportunities to spend time with your family. Events include Family Fun Nights, Holiday Celebrations, Health Fairs and our annual Healthy Kids Day event.
Maintain or improve your health through cardio, strength and flexibility programs with guidance from Y staff. The YMCA supports healthy lifestyles by reaching out to and engaging all those who seek well-being of spirit, mind and body. Fitness requires a well rounded approach; including cardio, strength and flexibility. YMCA staff can help you select the right fitness workouts, classes and training that is right for you and your family.
- Fitness Classes - Participate in a wide variety of cardio, strength and flexibility classes at the Y.
- Active Older Adults - The Y has fitness classes specifically designed for older adults. They give participants an opportunity to stay physically active or in some cases, to overcome their fear of exercise and begin being physically active. Y Active Older Adult Fitness programs accommodate a wide variety of interests and functional abilities of older adults. Active Older Adults classes include Senior Aerobic classes, Strength and Conditioning, Yoga, Swimming, Aqua Aerobics, SilverSneakers® and Silver&Fit.
- Personal Training - Personal training involves one or more regular training sessions designed to help you achieve your fitness goals. Your certified personal trainer will work with you and your schedule to develop a personalized fitness program. Personal training is offered in one-on-one, partner, or small group training sessions. Please contact your local Y for details.
Sports offer the opportunity to participate individually or as a team. Each sport challenges the participant in different ways through endurance, speed, mental toughness, teamwork, strength, coordination and countless other ways.
- Sports Classes - Sports classes focus on development and strengthening skills throughout the duration of the sports program.
- Team Sports and Leagues - Our athletes play equal time with fair and positive competition while learning good sportsmanship.
- Sports Clinics and Camps - Clinics and camps are geared to help athletes develop skills in specific sports. Both offer an opportunity to focus on skill improvement in a short period of time.
Through our aquatics program, the Y helps develop swimming and water safety skills for children in addition to providing members of all ages with classes, programs, and lessons to promote health and well being through water-based activities. See Aquatics for more information.