Health and Wellness
We have the latest fitness classes, health and wellness seminars, personalized training programs, and sports leagues for all ages and abilities.
Healthy And Wellness
The Y is the leading voice of health and well-being in our community. With a mission centered on balance, we bring families closer together, encourage good health, and foster connections through fitness, sports, fun and shared interests.
Healthy Living Initiatives
Partners in Healthy Living is a work-site wellness program that connects employers and their employees with the resources they need to create a more healthy and balanced lifestyle for themselves and their families. Participating employers can ultimately benefit from the program with a healthier workforce, a reduced absenteeism rate, and lower health care costs.
Membership Benefits for Partners in Healthy Living employees:
No joiner fee, a $50 value
Membership rates based on household income for those who qualify
Two-week trial pass
Access to nine area YMCA and JCC locations
Free access to any Y in Ohio with the MY Y is Every Y in Ohio program
Free fitness classes
Free babysitting while you work out
Four family adventure centers
Programs at YMCA Storer Camps
Reduced prices on YMCA Child Care
Healthy Living initiatives
For more information, contact Wilma DiManna – email@example.com.
Diabetes Prevention Program
The YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program is helping reduce the burden of chronic disease in communities across the nation. The program helps those at high risk for developing Type 2 Diabetes adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles by eating healthier, increasing physical activity and losing a modest amount of weight in order to reduce their chances of developing the disease. Contact Susan Ruff, YMCA's Diabetes Program Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org for more details. Take the Diabetes Risk Assessment.
The Y offers a free, 8-week program designed to provide diabetes education for individuals previously diagnosed or at high risk for developing the disease. Through local collaborations in the community, the Y/J offers weekly classes led by health professionals including a Certified Diabetes Educator, Licensed Dietitian and a YMCA Wellness Center Manager. Along with classes, each participant is eligible for a free 12-week individual max membership. Contact Susan Ruff, YMCA’s Diabetes Program Coordinator, email@example.com for more details.
Statewide Pioneering Healthier Communities Initiative – Live Well Greater Toledo
Description of the program:
Toledo was chosen to be part one of sixteen YMCAs from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the YMCA of the USA’s Statewide Pioneering Healthier Communities initiative to reduce childhood obesity. Early in 2011, leaders from the YMCA/JCC, ProMedica, Mercy Children’s Hospital, Lucas County Commissioners, United Way of Greater Toledo, Toledo Community Foundation, Toledo Public Schools, University of Toledo and Toledo Lucas County Health Department, along with the Mayor of the City of Toledo and three youth advocates, attended a conference in Washington D.C. to help greater Toledo create solutions to improve nutrition and physical activity. The group is currently established a community action plan which will focus on 4 key areas including improving access to fruits and vegetables and healthier food as well as improving areas for physical activity such as walking and biking. To learn more about how to be a part of this opportunity, log on to the website at www.livewelltoledo.org or contact Live Well at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Walking Bus Toolkit
Walking Buses are being implemented in the Greater Toledo area where volunteers are trained on how to conduct a Walking Bus program to assist in walking children to and from the school as well as to and from YMCA programs. If you are interested in conducting a Walking Bus in your area, contact Live Well at email@example.com.
Learn, laugh, and spend time together during fun activities that promote health and well-being for everyone.
- Parent and Child Programs - Play time and interaction with parents is critical to the development of our youth. Parent and child programs involve families and their preschool age children. These programs include family camps, parent/child swim lessons, and parent/child movement classes. We even offer some special classes specifically for new parents and their infants.
- Special Family Events - Y family events are wonderful opportunities to spend time with your family. Events include Family Fun Nights, Holiday Celebrations, Health Fairs and our annual Healthy Kids Day event.
Maintain or improve your health through cardio, strength and flexibility programs with guidance from Y staff. The YMCA supports healthy lifestyles by reaching out to and engaging all those who seek well-being of spirit, mind and body. Fitness requires a well rounded approach; including cardio, strength and flexibility. YMCA staff can help you select the right fitness workouts, classes and training that is right for you and your family.
- Fitness Classes - Participate in a wide variety of cardio, strength and flexibility classes at the Y. Find a class.
- Active Older Adults - The Y has fitness classes specifically designed for older adults. They give participants an opportunity to stay physically active or in some cases, to overcome their fear of exercise and begin being physically active.
Y Active Older Adult Fitness programs accommodate a wide variety of interests and functional abilities of older adults. Active Older Adults classes include Senior Aerobic classes, Strength and Conditioning, Yoga, Swimming, Aqua Aerobics and Silver Sneakers.
- Personal Training - Personal training involves one or more regular training sessions designed to help you achieve your fitness goals. Your certified personal trainer will work with you and your schedule to develop a personalized fitness program. Personal training is offered in one-on-one, partner, or small group training sessions. Please contact your local Y for details.
Selecting a sport program to participate in can be as simple as selecting one you have enjoyed as a fan. However, sometimes it makes sense to think through about your fitness goals and what you enjoy doing. Sports offer the opportunity to participate individually or as a team. Each sport challenges the participant in different ways through endurance, speed, mental toughness, teamwork, strength, coordination and countless other ways.
- Sports Classes - In the YMCA sports classes, we focus on skill development and strengthening those skills throughout the duration of the sports program.
- Team Sports and Leagues - YMCA leagues are not just another sports program. We have a mission, and that mission is that safety is our number one concern. Through our leagues, our athletes play equal time, while playing fair with positive competition, family involvement and participating in fun sports for all.
- Sports Clinics and Camps - YMCA sports clinics are geared to help athletes develop specific skills in particular sports. When participating in clinics at the YMCA participants are sure to improve on skills, make friends and have fun. Clinics at the YMCA are great lead up for participating in a class or league setting at the YMCA. Everyone plays, learns and wins in sports clinics at the YMCA.
YMCA sports camps offer an extended opportunity similar to a clinic. Sports camps are a fantastic chance to focus on skill improvement in a short concentrated burst. A sport camp can help you quickly enhance your understanding and endurance. It is also a great way to try out a sport without committing to a whole season.
Through various aquatic programs, the Y not only helps develop swimming and water safety skills, but also focuses on members' needs, as well as those of the community. From preschoolers to adults, overcoming fear of the water and developing water and swimming skills are rewarding. And, it promotes better health as a physical activity that can be performed throughout life.
- Water Fitness - Water fitness classes are for individuals of every age, held in both shallow and deep water. All classes are led by our YMCA-certified water fitness instructors.
- Swim Lessons - The YMCA Swim Lessons Program has two main components: Parent/Child and Preschool Aquatic Program and Youth and Adult Aquatic Program. The first is for children under the age of five and their parents; the second is for children ages 6 and up, as well as adults and people with disabilities.
- Pool Rental - Everybody in the pool! If you are looking for a splash-tastic time, the pool is available during open swim time as well as after hours. Lifeguards and a building supervisor will be provided. Several facilities also have inflatables available. Please contact your local Y for details.
- Recreational Swimming - We offer a wide variety of recreational programs for all ages and abilities. All of our programs are built on both solid research in the field of aquatics, as well as our four core values — caring, honesty, respect, responsibility and faith.
- Swim Teams - YMCA swim team is for swimmers ages 5-21. The team offers developmental instruction, age-group training, advanced conditioning, and in-depth technique and skill analysis. The YMCA participates in the Great Lakes YMCA Zone Conference, which includes YMCA teams and USA teams in the Northwest Ohio area.
- Water Sports & Specialty Programs - This includes programs such as competitive swimming, triathlon training, snorkeling, scuba, and kayaking. Teaching for these sports is done based on the skill ability of students.