Job Code: WP
Assistant Teacher - School-Age
Category: Child Care, Child Development
Location: Wayman Palmer YMCA
Job Type: Part-Time
Under the direction of the Site Director and/or Assistant Director and Lead Teacher, the School Age Aide is responsible for carrying out the day to day tasks assigned by the Lead teacher at the specified site. She/he will be responsible for helping in leading program activities, assessment, snack preparation, and communicating effectively with the children, their parents, YMCA/JCC personnel, and the center guest when needed and as assigned by the lead teacher.
- Follow directions and complete assigned tasks given from Lead Teacher and Site Director.
- Follow Ohio’s Common Core Standards and the school age curriculum.
- Help to maintain the daily records.
- Attend family events.
- Understand and help to update a portfolio on each child.
- Assist with self assessments, child assessments and environmental assessments.
- Follow YMCA/JCC child care policies and procedures, as well as ODJFS licensing standards.
- Follow and adhere to TQM policies.
- Responsible for helping the Lead teacher to implement the daily lessons and the preparation of materials and supplies.
- Help with general housekeeping tasks.
- Maintain a professional attitude.
- Treat children with dignity and speak to them in a friendly, positive and courteous manner while developing the four YMCA/JCC character values; caring, faith, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
- Interact with children and encourage them to share experience, feelings, and ideas.
- Foster the independence of children, such as; cleaning up toys, hand washing, etc.
- An understanding and knowledge of children, their behavior and development.
- Specific knowledge in developmentally appropriate practices for the age group.
- Must have or enroll in CPR, First Aid, Child Abuse Prevention, and Prevention of Infectious Diseases, and online courses in licensing laws, SUTQ, developmentally appropriate practices and child abuse overview.
- Warm and friendly personality and the willingness to interact with the children.
- Meet ODJFS licensing qualifications in training and background check.
- Maintain safe and secure environment for children, being aware of child activities at all times.
- Work as a team member with other staff.
- Help to maintain a learning environment with developmentally appropriate activities.
- Communicate effectively with children, their parents, other YMCA/JCC staff, and center guest.
- Report any concerns to your supervisor.
- Respond to emergencies according to YMCA/JCC procedures.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding personal information on children and staff.
- Take direction from Lead Teacher.
If interested, please email resume to email@example.com.